Here are some tips to make your child’s first dental visit a good experience:
- Even if you are the type of person that doesn’t like coming to the dentist or avoids it, try not to project your negative experiences/views onto the child before they have had their first appointment.
- Use positive language when describing the dentist and try to avoid using words such as ‘pain’, ‘needles’, ‘drills’, if these are needed in the future the dentist will often use alternative language to make the child comfortable.
- Also try not to build up the appointment by telling your kid to be ‘brave’, as that implies the appointment will be scary or uncomfortable.
- Let your kid know that at the first visit that the dentist might have a look in their mouth with a mirror, count their teeth, take some photos and maybe give them a brush. For very young kids, the dentist may just introduce themselves, give the kid a ride in the chair and count their teeth. First appointments are a good opportunity to get comfortable with the dental environment and the dentist will go at whatever pace the child is comfortable with.
- Aim to have your child’s first check up by the age of 3 so they can become familiar with the dental environment and hopefully look forward to coming back for their regular check-ups. It’s best to avoid waiting until there is an issue before booking as the child will already be in discomfort and the experience is likely to be less enjoyable.
- You can let your kid know that there is a TV they can watch while they are in the chair and a play area out the front.
Children's Dentistry in Tamworth
If you are looking for a dentist for your child in the Tamworth area, contact Oasis Smiles Dental. We are happy to set up an appointment for your child and look forward to meeting our new youngest patients.